Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Rance 2...




Thanks to everyone who posted ideas for the code. I think though AcidSerra has the code that I was looking for and knew was out there but for some reason I just couldn't wrap my mind about it. Thanks.

Compuscribe has suggested changing them all to extension classes which is a bit out of my comfort zone but actually makes a lot of sense. It does go against my KISS strategy. In which you really only need functions, if, while, input and output. But slowly people are converting me to complex code.

--------------

Now onto Rance 2, I was only able to make it to chapter 5 in one night. I want to give my thanks to the Rance Translation Team. A good solid translation, very smooth, and people sound correct. No bugs found.

The game play is pretty standard stuff the almost board game style navigation was surprising but is easy to understand. Combat is not especially tricky but the stamina systems stops it from being a one button pressing show. My main irritation is that the healing items become really irritating after a while as they only heal a tiny part and you have to go through 3 menus to use one, over and over. The H scenes are about what you expect from Rance, there, but not especially long or complicated. Not particularly usable as "Instructional Material".

Plot wise, I'm a bit pissed that Sil is cheating on Rance. He needs to train his slaves better. Other then that its not bad but its not great, and very linear that you have to find the obscure item a before you need to find obscure object 2. Rather old school gaming there.

Daisy

6 comments:

  1. Was it the 4 part link from earlier that worked for you? When I try to install from that file it doesnt work for me >_> It keeps giving me an error message about the game data that I cant read...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no problem with the link. I think you have to have oh what is the term... Hongfire had a discussion on it. You have to have Japanese local enabled or something. I'm sorry I did it months ago on my computer. Some one out there is an expert.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just want to thank you Daisy, you just give me the game i was searching for, this will help me to wait after the complet beta of underworld. (because sadly i cant help you in anyway)

    Thx thx thx thx.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I work from a KISS as well, but it's 'Keep it Short *your favorite s starting derogatory term here*'.

    The big thing is that you want small capsules of code that only require a few key strokes for maintenance. I'll talk about it more in the code review thread on the boards, no point just dumping a massive wall of text here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Anonymous and Daisy_Strike:

    Windows 7: Control Panel\Clock, Language, and Region

    Click "Region and Language". Then on the "Administrative" tab. Then "Change system locale", find Japanese in the dropdown list, and prepare for your computer to restart.

    It's basically the same for vista and XP. Dunno about other operating systems, though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Daisy_Strike giving Rance slave training advice. My day couldn't got any better.

    ReplyDelete