Monday, September 13, 2010

Remaking the character screen...

The new character screen...

Redcape's vision



How much I got done so far. ***NOT FINAL or FINISHED***



I actually prefered his flip of the items and stats... but the fact is that I need all the space I can get for stats, and with the exit button ALWAYS on the right there just wasn't enough room. Effects are a little smaller now as well but I think still recognizable 18px to 12px.

Time consuming for 2 reasons, one is that some of it comes down to a pixel or 2 placement and for that I have to keep re-building the game and eye balling it. Which eats time like you wouldn't believe.

The other major thing is that the tricks that I know to use now... I didn't use on this screen as it was the second one I really made.

Basically now a days I make all the spacing and items using the x y mathematically rather then just placing the numbers. And so updating the system to get that to work and make further modifications much easier.... probably need an example.

The older system that requires adjustment every time to make a modification:

label0.x = 25;
label0.y = 25;

label1.x = 25;
label1.y = 50;

label2.x = 25;
label2.y = 75;

so if i wanted to change x I would have to change every one in the list, time consuming.

------------------------------

The new system that makes adjustments quickly.

var xStart:int = new int(25);
var yStart:int = new int(25);
var ySpacing:int = new int(25);

label0.x = xStart;
label0.y = yStart;

label1.x = xStart;
label1.y = yStart + ySpacing;

label2.x = xStart;
label2.y = yStart + (ySpacing * 2);

Change one spot and they all change.

Really simple trick but I didn't use it at the start... but now that I have fought the system its a standard. A whole bunch of people are like well duh right now. And I agree, but experience teaches better then theoretical.

Daisy

No comments:

Post a Comment